"Saint Anna with a Madonna and Child", usually called Sant’Anna Metteresa, is a painting painted with tempera paint, measuring 175 x 103 cm. The great Masaccio, who painted it between 1424 and 1425, is considered its author. It is kept at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. The work is a masterpiece of the work of Masaccio and one of the key paintings of the first milestones of the Florentine Renaissance.
It is believed that Masaccio painted this picture for the basilica of the Florentine church of Sant Ambrogio (St. Ambrose), then in 1813 it became part of the collection of the Academy of Arts, and then the Uffizi Gallery in 1919.
The form of work was unusual for that time, in the absence of side panels, some researchers suggested that it was the central panel of the polyptych, which was divided in 1568.
Three angels lay a precious damask drapery behind the Madonna, baby and St. Anne, creating the depth of the picture, the background is much more modern than completely golden, indicated in the canons of the Renaissance. At the bottom of the picture are two more angels, whose figures also follow hierarchical proportions - they are much smaller than the figures of saints. The saints, in turn, are on the throne, which consists of two parts, with a pedestal.
Art historians agree that the icon-painting canons intended to strengthen the figure of St. Anne, mother of Mary and grandmother of Christ, who was supposed to save the Madonna and Child. This is evidenced by a protective gesture - the hand is located above the head of the Baby. The initial use of light, written by Masaccio, inexorably shifts focus to two figures in the foreground, which is contrary to traditional iconography.